I - Alternative Credit Opportunities

I - Alternative Credit Opportunities

Students have the opportunity to earn undergraduate academic credit through Advanced Placement Examinations (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB), General Certificate of Education Examinations (A-Level), Global Assessment Certificate Examinations (GAC); DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST); credit by examination, portfolio, technical competence, vertical course credit; and military courses. (See regulation J-5-a for credit limitations.) 

Minimum scores needed to earn credit for AP, CLEP, IB, A-Level, or GAC examinations are available on the Registrar’s website, www.uidaho.edu/registrar

I-2. Credit opportunities while an undergraduate degree-seeking student at UI

I-2-a. Challenged Courses (Credit by Examination)

Students may challenge UI lecture and associated laboratory courses (earn credit by examination) as follows:

  1. Students must receive permission from the course instructor, from the administrator of the department in which the course is offered, and from his/her academic dean to challenge a course. Applications to challenge a course are available on the Registrar's Website. The application must be signed and the application fee paid to the Student Accounts/Cashiers Office (see Special Fees for extramural credits). The form is then returned to the Registrar's Office. The registrar checks the student's record to confirm if the student is eligible to challenge the course and notifies the instructor or student accordingly.
  2. Students must score C or higher to pass and obtain credit. A passing grade is entered as P and is not included in grade-point computations. The student’s account will be charged the appropriate per-credit fee at the time the credits are recorded on the student’s transcript (see Special Fees for extramural credits). If a student does not meet these standards, no entry is made on their record and no per-credit fee is charged to their account.
  3. Results of the challenged courses must be forwarded to the registrar no later than the beginning of the last week of the semester.
  4. No examinations under this regulation may be conducted during the last two weeks of any academic session.
  5. Students are not permitted to challenge a prerequisite course after having completed the advanced course.

I-2-b. Experiential Learning Portfolio

With the approval of an ad hoc committee consisting of representatives from the colleges and departments involved , an undergraduate may be awarded credit in a specific undergraduate-level course in recognition of university-level knowledge or competence  acquired from work experiences, community and volunteer extension courses, and participation in informal courses and in-service training sponsored by associations, business, government, and industry. Requests for such credit must be approved by the student's departmental administrator and academic dean, and must be supported by such evidence as is needed to provide a sound basis for evaluating the student's achievements. Credits granted under this regulation are assigned a grade of P. Credit will be awarded at the undergraduate level based on demonstrated learning outcomes within the subject, course, or programs offered by the University.  Forms for experiential learning portfolio credit are available on the Registrar’s website, www.uidaho.edu/registrar.

I-2-c. Technical Competency Credit

Technical competency credits may be gained from experience in areas of concentration related to bachelor’s degrees in professional-technical education or industrial technology. Grades of P for the successful completion of IndT 407, are normally recorded on a student’s transcript during their last semester or upon completion of all degree requirements. A maximum of 30 credits may be earned in IndT 407. Applications and instructions for technical competency credits are available at the Department of Curriculum and Instruction. See Special Fees for extramural credits.

I-2-d. Vertically Related Course Credit

Undergraduate degree-seeking students may bypass an elementary course and enroll in a higher vertically related course. Students with a C or better in the advanced course are eligible to receive credit and a grade of P for the lower vertically related courses in the same subject matter. Vertically related courses are listed at the beginning of each subject in the course descriptions section. Applications to receive credit for vertically related courses are available on the Registrar’s website, www.uidaho.edu/registrar. See Special Fees for extramural credits. Advisors should make sure that students are aware of this opportunity for obtaining credit.

I-2-e. Military Courses

Student who have served in the armed forces may receive credit based upon completed military courses recorded on their official Joint Services Transcript (JST).  Evaluations for the granting of credit for military courses are based on the recommendations in the American Council of Education (ACE) guide.


Students who have completed courses at other institutions after bypassing lower vertically related courses, but have not been awarded credit for those bypassed courses, may receive credit for vertically related course(s) by following I-2-d.